Microsoft and Creative England are offering up to 10 indie game studios a cash injection of up to £25,000 per studio to turn an original tablet or mobile game idea into a money-making application. Aimed at start-ups in eligible regions* in England, the programme is designed to inject the business with funds for development and marketing. Studios only pay back the investment when they’re making money from the game.
Creative England supports game developers with funding and expertise, helping to create the conditions necessary for the most innovative and commercially astute companies to flourish.
Who can apply?
- Any privately held indie game studio in eligible regions* with an annual income of less than £250,000 that has been in the game business for under 5 years
- The game must be developed for a Tablet/Mobile environment for Microsoft Windows 8 and/or Windows Phone, but can also include iOS, Android and Blackberry
- Content exclusive to Microsoft Windows 8/Windows Phone would be viewed favourably in the final judging but is not required
- The Greenshoots investment must be used for game development and marketing only
- Studios must match our investment – this may be ‘in kind’ investment of your time spent working on developing the game
Interest is not charged on the Greenshoots investment, which is paid back by the studio as a percentage share of revenue (rather than any equity being taken) until paid off, and only once the game generates revenue.
What is the timescale?
- Applications must be received by 18th October 2013
- Successful applicants will be chosen by 15th November 2013
- We plan to allocate funds in November 2013
Microsoft is committed to helping the independent games industry thrive in the UK. Greenshoots is a collaborative fund by Microsoft and Creative England and is just one part of an ongoing support programme to foster new talent and help small indie game studios grow and be successful.
*Eligible English regions include the North West, North East, Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Bristol and Bath.
Terms and conditions apply.